Wednesday, November 5, 2008

YES WE CAN!

I have no doubt that if I were in Grant Park right now, I'd be sobbing like a little girl. I almost lost it when I saw the Reverend Jesse Jackson crying on tv, along with Oprah and many more across the nation. Tonight is a giant leap forward in American History, and I am glad to be (if just a tiny) part of it. Last February I waited in line for over 3 hours to listen to Senator Barack Obama speak at the Kohl Center in Madison. His speech was not only eloquent, but also inspiring. Listening to Obama speak solidified my support for this man. I saw someone who spoke to the disinfranchised and got people excited in politics again. I think that John McCain is a decent man. I find it unfortunate that McCain had to change so much from his views in order to please the far right. I appreciate his graciousness and the genuine look of disgust that crosses his face when his supporters boo Obama. (I have no comment on Palin, but I have an unfortunate feeling that this won't be the last we see of her.) It is not unpatriotic to believe in the freedom of choice, or talk with our enemies before sending our loved ones into war.
My sister and I spent the night sitting on our living room floor (we still lack a couch), waiting to hear the news of the next president. We watched as Obama gained more and more electoral votes, and as what once seemed impossible, become more and more likely. I always assumed that I would see a female president before a black one, and I never imagined I'd see anyone other than a white male in that position so soon. While I see so much progress from the days of the Civil Rights Movement and the Suffrage Movement, its no secret that Americans still hold many prejudices. It is my hope that with the election of Barack Obama, this nation can continue to move forward and that his election will inspire people to reach for their dreams, because anything is possible. My faith in mankind has been renewed as I see a country that is not as ignorant as I assumed, which is something I will gladly admit.
Congratulations Barack Obama :)

1 comment:

Ammar said...

i was sobbing like a little girl