Thursday, November 13, 2008

In da club ; )

This past Saturday, I went out in Manhattan. It was only my second time going "out," with my first being about a month ago, when my sister and I saw "Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist" in Union Square. The movie was fantastic, by the way, but didn't really give me a feel for the social scene in the city except for the mass amount of people (but they are everywhere you go here). Even though I was tired from working all day, I decided I needed to go out and experience New York, because honestly, that's what I am here for.
Now before I describe my night, I want you to close your eyes and imagine a Saturday night out in New York City. Now open them. Whatever you imagined, was pretty much what I experienced. We went to a club in lower midtown called PS 340. It was dark, crowded, loud and full of singles. Men and women huddled together in their groups, with their overpriced drinks, waiting for an attractive man or woman to come up and strike up a conversation. Whether they were looking for a relationship or a one-night stand, I am not sure.
The night was fun though. The club was nicely decorated, although it did seriously lack chairs. I've also never been to a place with a bathroom monitor. I mainly chatted within my group, avoiding eye contact with all males and danced along to the music being djed off of a mac. I was proud of myself for successfully avoiding any awkward encounters.
I enjoyed being outside of Astoria, and if only for one night, behaving like a true New Yorker. The next time I go out, I expect it won't be to another club unless I have out of town visitors. I just dont have the desire to pay a ton of money to stand around and watch people look uncomfortable. Then again, that is one of my favorite activities...

No comments: