Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving at Mike's

Happy Thanksgiving!
There are many things that I am thankful for: my family, my friends, my health, the fact that I have a job, to name a few. Even though the history behind the holiday is morally questionable, I still appreciate the idea of having a day in which to give thanks. I'm a believer that you should be thankful everyday, but hey, not everyone thinks that way. My dinner (which of course was eaten around lunch time) proved rather unconventional, at least for me, but hey, not every year can be picture perfect.
My dad is in town, visiting me, which I am extremely happy about. Today would have been a rather depressing day if I were all alone. I had to work last night until 11:30 and we didn't get back home till around 1am so getting up and cooking really wasn't a practical option. (I'm not a very good cook anyways). Instead I watched the pros cook on "Top Chef" and we walked to 31st to a nice little place called "Mike's Diner." I'll be honest with you, my dad liked the food (or so he said) but I found it to be terrible. Good food is nice on Thanksgiving, but is not a requirement. That is not the point. I had food on my table, and some people don't, so I choked down as much of the food that I could, all the while smiling. Our waitress was a sweet woman who left her three children and husband at home to serve me subpar food. She commented about how cute it was that my dad and I were there together and generally enjoyed our Midwestern cheerfulness in a room full of cranky (and poor tipping) New Yorkers.
We left after paying our bill and tipping like people should on a holiday. My stomach has still not recovered, even though I barely ate my turkey and stuffing (want my leftovers?) but I'm so glad that I got to spend this time with my dad, healthy, safe and overall happy.
For those of you I wasn't with this holiday, I miss you, I love you, and I hope to see you at Christmas :)

No comments: