Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Welcome to Astoria




I am finally beginning to feel more like a resident of New York and less like a vacationer. The change from tourist to semi-New Yorker is thanks to my new apartment in Astoria (Queens). We do not have any furniture except for our beds, so I find myself sitting on a pillow in the middle of the living room watching "Gossip Girl." (Unintentionally hilarious show, by the way). My sister and I moved in last Wednesday and as of today have accumulated one pot, two bowls, and four plates. My mom will be sending us silverware this week, but until then all of our knives, spoons and forks will be made of plastic.
Although this may not seem ideal, I am ten-folds happier than I was in Brooklyn. I have my own room (that nobody has to walk-through) and a free living room that I can watch all the crappy tv I want to in. My sister is slowly trying to teach me how to use DVR which I find to be the world's greatest invention. The walk to the subway is longer but the actual subway ride is shorter and mostly above ground. Those of you who don't have to ride the subway regularly will not understand how amazing being above ground is, at least for me. Waiting in the dark, stale underground may be nice in the winter, or if you're homeless (no joke), but I'd much rather be in the fresh air and looking at buildings than the repetitious black walls.
In the upcoming weeks we hope to purchase (with the assistance of my dad) a sofa for our living room. As much as I love the simplicity of our place (complete with a tv stand made of boxes), I can't wait to have a comfortable place to sit on off of the floor.

No comments: