Monday, September 22, 2008

I gave my regards to Broadway


When I was a little girl, my dream was to be on Broadway. I was in community theater and sang solos throughout elementary school. I even wrote about it for school assignments. Unfortunately, after a horrible audition, I developed stage fright and now hate even talking in front of people. Though my childhood dream to be on Broadway will never be realized, I still (with a tad bit of jealousy) love watching other people perform. I had seen signs yesterday (on my 12-mile walk of the city) for the Tony Award winning musical "Spring Awakening" and decided this was the show for me. I ordered a ticket for myself in the 8th row and away I went.
I must say, "Spring Awakening" deserved the Best Musical Award it won. It was absolutely fantastic. (It may sound somewhat familiar to the 90210 fans out there *cough* Danielle *cough* as this is the musical that one skinny girl is performing in at school). I laughed, I cried, and the most exciting part (at least for me) was meeting Hunter Parrish, who stars in it, after the show. He was amazing in it, and I surprisingly good singer, which you would never guess from his character on "Weeds". I don't care if this makes me a loser, because he is adorable and really nice and Meredith appreciates my feelings on the subject :)
On the subway train back home to reality, I had an interesting encounter with a woman. She stared at me for most of the ride and then decided to pull out a piece of paper and a pencil and start drawing. I'd like to think she was drawing the guy sitting next to me, but nevertheless it was extremely awkward. When I got off the train, I got harassed by a group of teenage boys, probably around 14 who shouted at me and blew me kisses. I guess odd and annoying people from the subway is something I have to get used to. Gotta love New York....


2 comments:

Danielle Dorr-Niro said...

woo woo! thanks for the shout out... even if it does link me to 90210. glad i got to talk to you today lovah.

Unknown said...

Becky, watch In the Heights for me :)