Friday, April 23, 2010

The Fountain of Youth

I feel like the theme song of my life right now could be "Forever Young" (doesn't really matter what version, although the Bob Dylan lyrics probably work best). As I approach my upcoming birthday, I find myself getting more and more annoyed when people go, "how old are you? 19?" When I tell people I graduated from school in 2008, I frequently get, "from high school?"

People don't understand why it bothers me when someone thinks I'm younger than I really am. I don't mind being double-carded when I go out, but it really annoys me in professional situations. I want to be taken seriously, which is hard when someone thinks you're not even of the legal drinking age. How can someone hire me to be a supervisor or in charge of anyone when I not only look like I could be their kid, but also need a chaperone for an r rated movie.

Someday I'll be glad I look younger than my actual age, until then, I'll just be perturbed as I get asked for a second form of id while out celebrating my 24th birthday.

No comments: