Thursday, December 17, 2009

"The Date"

Apparently I wrote this poem my junior year of high school in my creative writing course. For some reason the only poetry I can write rhymes. It must be because of my childhood love of Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss (in fact my admissions essay for UW was bases on Green Eggs and Ham). Anyways, I'm somewhat amused by this poem and hope you are too :)

The Date

Suzie glanced at the clock
ten minutes to eight
twenty minutes earlier
Bill had been due for their date.

Finally he arrived
in his dad's Honda Accord
and drove her to Wendy's
the only place he could afford.

There was dead air between them
no words he could speak,
he had forgotten the topics
he'd been working on all week.

After dinner he drove her
to his favorite show,
the one with the killing
and the gunfight in the snow.

A look of disgust
crept across her face,
she could not believe
he took her to this place.

At the end of the date
he went in for a kiss
but she turned her cheek
for a swing and a miss.

The night was finally over,
finally their date was through
Bill asked Suzie excitedly,
"When should I call you?"

4 comments:

Alexandria said...

I like

Unknown said...

This is so freakin' cute!!!!

Unknown said...

Why does this say Nick, it's Zairah!!!

gul said...

cute!!
poor Bill lol