Friday, October 3, 2008

A walk in the park (and other places)

My favorite place in New York City thus far is, hands down, Central Park. In Madison, my refuge was always the Terrace and I've found a place close to that haven in the park. I love how I can sit there, in nature and glimpse the city through the trees. There are always tons of people around and almost everyone in this part of the city is in a good mood. I love people-watching the couples, the playing children, and the runners as they all go by smiling.
I think I give away the fact that I am a small town girl every time I walk down the street staring up at the gorgeous architecture towering above me. So far, I've managed to walk rather far on my own. I've enjoyed parts of the Upper East Side, so-soed my way through the Upper West Side, and cowered my way down the streets of Greenwich Village. I know everyone just loves that area, but inthe parts I walked through as the sun was setting, I just couldn't get past all the sex shops and stores selling fish-net stockings.
Some days I find myself monologuing like Carrie Bradshaw in my head. I'll wonder about what makes the people of this city tick and contemplate on how easy it is to feel alone surrounded by so many people all the time. This city tests my patience with its long lines and thick New Yorker accents but I'm slowly learning to appreciate every unique experience as something I'll look back upon and remember fondly as the time I spent living in New York City...

No comments: